What is a chemical peel and should i get one?

Well im trying to get rid or at least improve the appearance of my old acne "lumps/bumps" and some scars. What i want is to make my skin look softer and smoother so when i looked stuff up 'chemical peel' kept coming up. What is exactly is a chemical peel and were can i get one?

Category : Natural Skincare Posted on November 11, 2009

One Comment → “What is a chemical peel and should i get one?”

  1. Bored Again
    7 years ago

    A chemical peel is just what it sounds like, they take a chemical (typically golcolic acid I believe) put it on your skin causing a minor burn and then it peels off revealing fresh younger looking skin. However, if you’ve been on ANY acne meds you need to be careful, some of them have wait periods after stopping use before you can do something like this (for example, if you were on accutane you need to wait a minimum of 6 months after your LAST dose) if you don’t wait long enough you have have serious scarring occur. As to where to get them you have options, there are home versions, usually not very good, for safety reasons they simply don’t have enough of the acids to do very much, good for a little pick me up but not for serious scar removal. Some spas or medi-spas will have them but they can get a little pricey but they are typically stronger and will do more good. The best place is usually a dermatologist, but you could pay upwards of $300 per treatment (and you’d probably need more than one). Also, except for the home versions, these have ‘down time’ i.e. you look like a sunburned monster from hell, then peel horrifically, usually it can take 1-2 weeks before you look normal again and they can be bit painful.


Leave a Reply